Thursday, February 01, 2007

Ouch - My Knee

My knee surgery went well yesterday.

At 6:00am when I went out to start the car I noticed an old man slumped over on the sidewalk. It was dark and I was tired so it took me a while make out details as I approached him to see if he was okay. It looked like he was having a heart attack and I was about to run in and get Jo so she start administering care. He said he had slipped on the ice and wanted a ride to his house on the corner. I helped him in the car and said "I'm already headed to the hospital why don't you just let me drop you off at the emergency room?" He agreed, so after getting Jo and the dogs off we went in the snow.

Jo dropped me off and then took my neighbor to the emergency room. In the pre-op, they let Jo do my IV, but my skin is tough so both her and the nurse missed the first time. With needle wounds in both arms, I almost passed out while they swapped needle stories back and forth over my bed. Finally when Jo noticed that I was as white as a ghost she suggested they change the subject.

The Doc cleaned out some ChondroMalaysia (damaged cartilage caused by the knee cap rubbing against the bone) from under my knee cap and also removed some inflammation from my Popliteus Tendon band. It's not a cure all fix, but with some time off I should be better than I was. The Popliteus Tendon / Muscle seems to be my trouble area. I must have either torn, stretched, or separated it at some point, but unfortunately there isn't much a surgeon can do orthoscopically to address that area. When I woke up with a cannula in my nose I was yelling at the nurse to put her oxygen mask on because I thought we were in an emergency descent. This happened last time I woke up from general anesthesia. I think my words were something like "No you calm down! Get your mask on, we got get this thing below 14000 feet!!" They all had a good laugh about how agitated I was.

Here's a diagram of the knee so you can see what I'm talking about.

And just in case you were going to be eating anytime soon here's the real thing!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey gimpy, glad the fun at the hospital went well. Hopefully they injected some Red Bull behind your patella, that stuff seems to cure everything for me. Funny though, after seeing the photos I really feel like eating some beef jerky now!

OB said...

Agreed. I feel like munching on a plate of wings, with chicken ligaments snapping on my cheeks after each bite. Anatomy is graphic. I like skin covered girl parts though... Get well.