Sunday, February 18, 2007

Knees, Dogs, Midgets, and Talks with Strangers

Life on the Lee-Side has been in a state of neglect the past week, so here are highlights of my week.

It's been 19 days since my knee surgery and for the most part I'm healing well. A little residual swelling has delayed my return to work, but I hope to back in the air tomorrow. My focus for the near future is to take it easy on my knee, do lots of PT, and let it heal properly before resuming my normal activity level. It's a beautiful Sunday today and the temptation to get a hang glide off Look Out Mountain is high. It's not soarable, but it's been a couple months since I've flown and getting a landing in would be great to keep my currency. Other than a direct contradiction to my recovery plan above, not being able to run or bear any load on my knee will keep my hang glider in it's PVC pipe hanger today and in the near future. At least the dogs are enjoying the nice weather.








Knee pain aside, my week has been somewhat productive. Having to give up my mountain bike racing career (only temporarily) I have shifted my energy elsewhere and bought a new toy. Only 690 BMW M Coupes were made with the S54 315hp motor. Mine is number 493! It's a good investment and orgasmic to drive, but I struggle with owning such a nice material possession. I'm not the typical schmoozer BMW owner and bought this car purely for it's style, and performance assets.




Alas, nothing in life comes without sacrifice so my beloved 1973 MG Midget had to go. I've written several posts about my adventures in this car. I still have scars on my leg from the electrical fire back in October! I bought this car to use in the restoration of my Dad's 1972 British Racing Green Midget, but deciding it was too nice to cannibalize. I decided the best course of action was to sell it to someone who would enjoy it and ensure it would live a long and happy life.







On the drive to deliver it to the buyer and pick up Dad's Midget I encountered a fan at a gas station in Missouri (which is the explanation behind my previous post). He asked me what year is was and why it was on a trailer. I told him, remorsefully, I was selling it because I bought a another car. He asked me what kind of car I got. I told him "An M Coupe" to which he remarked ecstatically - "Wow, that's my dream car!!!" Then he went on to tell me with a sparkle in his eye that he had just bought a new car. I engaged his enthusiasm and asked "What did you get?" His mood suddenly changed and he lowered his head. Then he pointed to a brand new mini-van. Before I could compliment him on his purchase a high pitch voice pierced our ears with the words "Stanley, stop talking to strangers! Get back here!! Lets go!!!" We were both stunned by his wife's outburst from the front seat. "Well, I better go...", he said solemnly. I put a supportive hand on his shoulder and responded, "Take care man." Although I did feel sorry for him, the way his wife yelled at us and the way he reacted was hilarious and I laughed about it for hours!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You got me laughing a lot also, great story.

James Butler said...

Stanley? Are you kidding? That was the name of Mr. Roper in Three's Company. His whining wife would always call, "STANNNNNN-LEEEE!" And Mr. Roper would sink his head down and respond, "Yes Dear."