Sunday, February 25, 2007

How Not to Move a Midget

After delivering my Orange Midget to it's new owner in Virginia I went to Lee's to pick up the British Racing Green Midget I inherited from my Dad a couple years ago. Lee has been keeping it safe for the past year and has become quite protective of it. When I tried to start it, it refused so we would have to find another way to get it on the trailer. I parked the trailer at the bottom of a hill and we pushed the midget to the end of the driveway. The plan was to get it rolling fast enough to make it up the ramps to the trailer deck. The danger in this plan was if the ramps weren't aligned perfectly the front tires would slip off. The ramp alignment was perfect on the first attempt, but we didn't get it rolling fast enough to make it all the way up to the trailer. We pushed it back farther up the hill, I got in and Lee gave it hell. I hit the ramps with plenty of speed and braked just at the top because the wooden trailer deck had a thin coating of snow. Once on the deck, I put the midget in gear, pulled on the emergency brake and chocked the wheel. The truck was blocking the road so I decided to back into Lee's driveway. It was only 30 feet, so I thought the midget would be fine without being strapped down. The result - as Charlie Murphy would say "Wrong!, Wrong!!"



The snow on the wooden deck was so slick that the whole thing slid back when I hit the brakes, chocks and all. Lee yelled "Stop", but it was too late. The rear wheels were hanging off the back of the trailer. If my knee was healthy we might have been able to lift it back on, but I tried with one leg and it wasn't budging. Lee had a better idea. He got an axle jack and a 2x4 and was able to jack it up high enough for us to it push on.





With the Midget fully on the trailer I decided to apply the logic "If it doesn't work the first time, try again it the exact same way" and back it the rest of the way into the driveway without the it being strapped down. Lee came to the rescue again and strapped the front end before I could move any further. Genius. Thanks and congratulations to Lee for taking such good care of the midget and getting it out of his garage just in time for his new baby Isabella (which will be staying in the house).

No comments: