Thursday, December 28, 2006

Blizzards and Holidays

I've been in Maryland most of last week and without highspeed internet, hence my lack blogging. Blizzards and holiday travel are never a good combination, but when your travel method is by standby the result is usually many hours in the airport without ever leaving. The first blizzard of '06 gave me 7 days off for the holidays. My original plan was to got back to MD for Christmas, but with 5000 people trying to get out of the airport my only chance would be in the jumpseat. There was no shortage of pilots trying to get out of DIA so I decided to wait a couple days for things to calm down. I managed to get home on Christmas eve after getting bumped off of only 3 flights. It sounds bad, but I was stoked to get on a flight period. Andrew picked me up at the airport and we made quite an entrance at the midnight service where my Mom was waiting. After a short but wonderful holiday with all the family I made back to Colorado last night.



Having to work today I was hoping the second blizzard of '06 would come early and I would get a couple more days off. Unfortunately that was not to be. On the way to work today I stopped at the gas station to top off my tank and get a Sobe energy drink. As the tank was filling up I went in to get my Sobe. My flavor was sold out, mildly annoyed I kept a positive attitude. As I walked out to my truck a lady getting out of an old Chevy put her cigarette out at my feet. I longed for the time when pilots got respect. I was late, so I didn't have time to sulk that I would be sans caffeine for my drive to work. Then, just as I was pulling the gas nozzle out of my tank it exploded all over my arm. My Arc'Teryx shell protected my uniform coat from the gas, but it's the nicest piece of clothing I own. I needed to wash the shell before it absorbed the gas. I ran to the only bathroom just in time for my cigarette smoking friend to close the door in my face. I waited patiently for a few minutes, but as low frequency sounds from behind the door confirmed my suspicions that she was up to more than number 1 I needed another option. There was a sink by the coffee machine. I moved an unattended coffee cup out of the way and frantically washed my sleeve. It was too late. As I lowered my head in failure I felt a hand on my shoulder. A raspy voice smelling of ashtray said "That's my coffee." There were many things I wanted to say to the Jerry Springer Show attendee. Remembering the cigarette snubbed at my feet I simply replied with "Then you should have taken it in the john with you." as I poured it into the sink. I sped off to work angry and smelling of gas. Yes I could have been a bigger man and yes it was petty of me to pour her coffee down the sink, but it seemed like the right thing to do at the time and I stand by my decision!! I'll be stuck in Montrose for the next 2 days while Denver digs out to think about it. Ha!!

No comments: