Thursday, May 10, 2012

Where the Micro Buses Go to Die

I know of a sanctuary of sorts. It's not for birds, tigers, or dogs. No its inhabitants are much less organic, but easily recognizable - the original Volkswagen Bus. The Type II Transporter was born in post war Germany. It evolved from a factory converted Type I (Beetle) that was used as an internal cargo vehicle. It became an icon of a generation in both the original split window form and later bubble window version.

I had a '73 Westfalia bubble window that defined my teenage years, emptied my wallet, and taught me how to work on cars. I drove it up and down the East Coast, into the Deep South, through the Rockies, and across the Northern Plains. All at a blistering Vmax of 60mph with a long line of cars, trucks, even mopeds angrily waiting pass.

My '73 Westy


The sanctuary is a final resting spot for hundreds of split and bubble window Type II's. It's secret location, just off I-25 north of Denver, is known only to a select few. Take Erie Parkway west to the stop sign. Make a left then the entrance is about half a mile on the right. If you see the dump you've gone too far. Oh and don't turn early into the RV storage before the stop sign. The "select few" is the entire '90's era readership of VW Trends Magazine, every VW Type II forum member on the planet, and anyone who's needed a used car part from Blake's Small Car Salvage.

Okay, the secret of Blake's has been out since the '80's rendering all the good bus shells long gone. Blake's will still sell you one for $1500, but you have to provide a replacement for either the junkyard wall or parts storage the shells have become. I frequent Blake's often for E30 and Tacoma parts. They aren't the cheapest, but they usually have what I need and getting to see the buses is a bonus.

Split Window


Bubble Window


Last month I needed a window motor for the E30. The seldom travelled side roads I take to get there would be a good opportunity rev the M Coupe, so off I went in the clown shoe. Blake's is a photographer's goldmine, especially if you like rusty, industrious subjects. I didn't have my SLR, but was kindly allowed to snap a few cell phone pics as we moved from bus shell to bus shell looking for a '88.5-'92 BMW E30 driver's side window motor. As we wandered the yard the sky darkened with ominous cumulo-mamatus clouds. The grey seemed appropriate for the scene, contrasting the shades of faded pastels and rust perfectly. I couldn't help but wonder how many miles traveled, adventures had, or shear tons of marijuana had been consumed amongst fleet.

Walls and Parts Storage




This One's Got Stories


This One Too


I got my parts and went on my way. Whenever I think of my old VW bus it conjures up happy memories. The freedom it offered me to venture out on the open road, to explore a newly accessible world. It taught me to appreciate things most people take for granted, like heat in the winter or a gear shifter with the number 5 on it. I'd like to build up another one day. Maybe something with a Subaru motor and luxuries like heat. Or maybe a bone stock split window with the original1500cc motor. Either way my relationship with the venerable Type II is still intact. And just like a Type II, a trip to Blake's leaves my wallet lighter, but my heart fonder.

Of Course I Had to Take a Few with the M Coupe



1 comment:

ramblerdan said...

Awesome! Thanks for shooting and posting.