Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Flytec Race and Rally 2012 - Day 7


Day 7 gave me one last chance to make up for my Peaceful Slumber-induced late start yesterday. I was keen to make up as much ground as possible. A 140km dog-leg task to the north from Moultre Airport to Americus Airport was called. The only obstacles would be a small forest and Lake Blackshear, 20km short of goal. I launched early in the open window, over an hour before the first start. There were a few clouds lingering in the start circle with light lift underneath. As the ordered launches towed up a few gaggles formed. I was at the edge of the start circle way too early so I joined the main gaggle low over the airfield. After finding a few cores I was able to get close to the top of the stack for a good starting position. When the first start clock came everyone left in a massive exodus. All the gliders at various altitudes looked like a scene out of Independence Day when the earthlings attacked the alien mothership.

Day 7 Task, 140km from Moultre to Americus, GA


At 3000' I stopped with a few others to sniff out a bump, but left after one turn. In that one turn I lost the lead group, who got down super low before their first climb. For the rest of the first leg I followed one glide away with about 6 others. Near the turn point our gaggle had thinned to 3, but we were joined by low stragglers off the front gaggle. There was another gaggle about 10km to the west that paralleled our line. Later I found out that was a slightly worse line which really mixed up how everyone would make it to goal. Just shy of the turn point the switch turned off and the lift got thin and light. My gaggle splintered and almost everyone decked it. I found a low save at 700'. I was already unzipped when I hit a 50fpm bump. I clung to 50-150fpm for almost 45 minutes slowing working back up to 3000'. As I did that I saw another half a dozen gliders tag the turn point and everyone who was below me decked it. It was terrifying so I waited until someone finally joined me to head out to goal. We were only 35km away, but were bucking a crosswind. My partner across the abyss of light lift was Pete Layman. We only found one slow climb back up to 3800'. That was the last climb of the day and we landed together just short of Lake Blackshear.

Lake Blackshear from the Turn Point


Pete and I On Our Last Glide of the Day





I really thought I was going to make goal. My disappointment stung even more when I found out a solid group made it. I did a good job of working with people, not being too aggressive or too conservative. I didn't give up when I was down low and was able to claw my way up from 700'. Unlike the previous days when I decked it there wasn't one single mistake or strategy I could pinpoint as my error. It was just a fickle day. Racing hang gliders is like a three-dimensional game of chess with dice. There is definitely a luck element and I didn't quite have the talent to overcome a little bit of bad luck. 

The finish was dramatic. Jonny, Dustin, and Zippy got held up on the line to the west. Paris and Pedro took a death glide over the lake, but found lift. Then Pedro went for goal super early and Paris had to follow. Paris stopped for one turn just make sure he had the numbers and Pedro made it by a small margin. The turn cost Paris 1st place overall and $1300, but he took it stride. Overall I'm please with the comp. I finished 26 out of about 55 pilots, which is my best finish yet. I should say to that the talent this year was on another level. Everyone is just so good and it was a pleasure to see such expertise in action.

Sunset at Americus Airport


Awards Ceremony


Final Results HERE

The flying was great and most of all spending a week with the regulars was fantastic. It's really the people that make this sport. I had a thousands laughs hanging with my main partner in crime, Jon Simon. His wife Heather and Paris made the hours spent on the road pass quickly. Many thanks to both of them for such good company. I'd also like to thank the organizers, tug pilots, ground crew, and other pilots for a great week. Everyone works really hard to pull this race off every year and the rewards are well worth it.

No comments: