Sunday, April 22, 2012

Flytec Race and Rally 2012 - Travel and Preparations

It's April and that means it's Flytec Race and Rally time. It's been a hectic year so getting myself and my gear sorted would take right up to the last minute. The first order of business was new wires, a 3 to 1 VG, and thorough inspection of the T2C. 

New Wires

   

 3 to 1 VG

   

 I would be the only pilot coming from Colorado and didn't have money for hotels so driving the Element made the most sense. I replaced the OEM rack with a Thule set up, then hacked up a pawn shop extension ladder plus some conduit for a full size rack. A base radio, GPS, and radar detector finished the package. It's a full fledged hang glider recovery vehicle. 

 Outfitting the Element 



 

 Base Radio, GPS, and Radar Detector

   

 Jo would be driving the E30, which decided to break down the day I wanted to leave. Several trips to the junk yard had it fixed, but it put be 24 hours behind schedule. I stopped for 6 hours outside of St. Louis and made it to Quest (in Groveland, Florida) at 3:30 am the morning of the first day, a total of 36 hours. 

 Beautiful Kansas Sky

 


 

 The Arch


Appalachia


Arrival at 3:30am, 36 hours later

   

 The first day was cancelled due to strong winds. I was keen to free-fly anyway since my last flight was in the fall. I broke a weak-link just above the trees on the first tow. I pulled off a low 360 for a great landing. Jon said it was the roughest air of the day. The second tow was uneventful. So was the flight up until the end. In the fall I had been having problems getting my head down at full speed. My pitch adjuster was hanging up on something. I fixed it in the winter, but hadn't had a chance to test it in flight. I also hadn't been getting full travel out of my VG before the 3 to 1. The difference wasn't huge, but it was enough to create some drama. After a few thermals I tried out my pitch at a range of different speeds. When it was time to land I set up a high speed downwind towards the pond. My plan was to pay out my energy over the pond then land near the big tree. I wasn't trying to show off as I have nothing on the superior talent of the majority of pilots in the meet.  I was just enjoying flying the glider at speed, although the changes masked how much energy it had.  At about 300' I hit a wire-slapper and lost the bar. I'm not sure if it was ripped out of my hand or surged forward as I instinctively tried to slow down. Either way it pinned violently against my neck. By the time I got my hands back on it I was climbing steeply. My bed was made. I was rocketing skyward at 120 degrees pitch (past the vertical).  It was too late to pull in. I should have rolled out of the side, but my instinct at the time was to push out slightly and go over the top. It seemed like the quickest way to get out of it and time was of the essence!  I've never looped before, nor planned on doing it any time soon. I stayed positive the whole time, but it was close. If not for a headwind as I was upside-down I don't think it would have been successful.  Lots of wingovers probably helped with the muscle memory.  I landed and was disgusted at my decision making. Sleep depravation, glider changes, turbulence and rotor were all factors that I didn't respect. I needed to fly to get dialed with my glider, but I should have been more respectful of the multiple threats I faced under those conditions.  I did keep my composure and take decisive action in a violent and surprising situation.  There are a very few times in a pilot's career when such a situation presents itself.  It was satisfying to have acted correctly under pressure, but that does not excuse putting myself in the situation in the first place.  It was a valuable learning experience,  In any form of aviation, mistakes you can walk away from are gifts. I'll take it as that and learn from it. I'm looking forward to our first day of racing tomorrow. In the meantime my neck hurts.

No comments: