Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Flytec Race and Rally 2012 - Day 3

The system pumping strong north winds has moved out of the area enough for some conducive flying weather. A 150km task from Dunnellon Airport to Quest to Lake Wales Airport was called. It would be an easy downwind task in the countryside west of Orlando. This year there is an ordered launch system, to which I was #41. The conditions were more like Colorado than Florida with broken thermals, bumpy air, blue skies, and cold - like 40 degrees at 5000'. There was an ordered launch and I was number 41. That meant I got off late, but not at the very back. I hooked up with Greg, Charlie, Tom, and John in the start circle and took the 2:45 start. We had a good tailwind for the first leg and worked down the east side of ??!! Lake. By the other side our gaggle had splintered. John was out ahead and called out two climbs for me. I was alone, but caught him just after the Quest.

Day 3 Task

 

Starting at Dunnellon Airport



From the Air


Looking South on the Course Line



We worked together perfectly for another 20km, but I was getting really motion sick. It always happens on my first flight after not flying or a while, but the bumpy air exaggerated things. I suffered through a few more climbs, but decided to get on the ground while I had my whits about me. I lead out a glide and was setting up for the last big landing field before the woods. Then I saw a waypoint called Wallab in the GPS, which had to be Wallaby. I needed to pick up a glider there for a Colorado pilot. I was on the other side of the woods, but I was loitering in 50fpm. I drifted down wind until I had it on glide. I was bummed I ended the flight early and felt terrible leaving John, but it was a good first comp flight and I have gas money to get home now!

Landed at Wallaby



Stumbled on this Guy on the Drive

No comments: