Monday, March 28, 2011

Unser Racing Karts

I drive by John Elway's Toyota Dealership every time I go to work. It's in a large parking garage at the intersection of I-25 and highway 36. Over the years the name has changed and eventually it moved all together to a new building on the other side of the highway. I wondered what would happen to the building. Last year Al Unser bought it and turned it into an indoor high speed go kart racing track. There are other places with faster karts and better tracks around the Denver area, but Unser is close and open late. The track is tight and it's slick surface makes for intense moments when the karts max out at 50mph.

The Track


The first time I went with Andrew and Trebor. It was good fun. After three 8 minute heats I was spent. Trebor went out super fast like a mad man in his flannel, while Andrew and I started slow. Trebor's arms started to go after the first heat, while Andrew and I had an epic battle for the next two. The next session was with Jonny V and Sean. I was right in the middle Sean was consistently .5 seconds a lap faster than me. I worked and worked at closing the gap, but the harder I tried the more my line fell apart. Jean-Paul and I went later that week. We were pretty evenly matched. I was more experienced, but Jean-Paul made up for that with bravery. It was hilarious!

This clip is from that last two sessions.

No comments: