Wednesday, April 13, 2011

First Flight of 2011

La Nina has brought dry air and strong west winds this year and shut down most of the upslope winter flying. It has been 5 months since I last flew and The Flytec Race and Rally is roughly 3 weeks away. Tuesday looked like there might be a window. When I woke up decided it was questionable and my time might be better spent mountain biking. When I was done Steve texted me and said it was good. I unloaded the bike, loaded up the glider, and sped to Lookout.

Ready to Launch
(notice the sinky clouds in the background)


As I got ready to launch a south cycle pushed through and flushed everyone who had been in the air. After a while it started building again and I launched in good air. The rust brushed off quickly and I managed to top out at about 9500 feet over launch. Steve had reached 10,500 earlier, but I could seem to break 9500. After boating around for a while I headed out into the valley. There really wasn't much lift, but I could feel it when I fell out of a weak convergence. I decided to turn back to ride the convergence as far north as I could.

Looking Down at Golden


Chimney Gulch Trial and Buffalo Bill's Grave


Happy to Be in the Air
(under my Stig Visor)


The Clear Creek Canyon Burn
(less than 1 month old)


Crossing over Clear Creek Canyon was a breeze and I only lost about 800 by the time I reached Golden Gate Canyon. I turned briefly in what I thought might be a thermal, but it too disorganized to climb in. I headed back minimizing my sink rate in what I could find of the conversion. If I was willing to commit to the back ridge the air might have been better, but I wasn't convinced and didn't want to land in unfriendly territory. Instead I rode the hog back to Ralston Reservoir Dam. There were bits and pieces of lift, but I couldn't put anything together. Then I saw a few hawks just west of highway 93. I drove towards them and it turned out to be crows. Never trust a crow, those cheeky bastards will lure you out of good air every time. True to character they tried to lead me to sink, but I knew better. Never trust a crow!

On Glide to the North


Ralston Peak


Ralston Reservoir and the FlatIrons to the North


Looking Back at Belcher Hill and White Ranch


I landed in a field just west of 93 about 10 miles out. Most of the land owners between Golden Gate Canyon and highway 72 are unfriendly so I wasted no time hopping the "No Trespassing" signed fence. I broke down on the shoulder of 93.

Hopping the Glider Over the Fence
(note the No Trespassing Sign)


The End of a Great Flight


Just Under 10 Miles in About an Hour


Steve picked me up and celebrated the day. Then to top off the day I went and drove the Unser Karts, setting a new lap record of 18.86 seconds. What a day!

2 comments:

Kathleen McCulloch said...

That was great! I love shot of your shiny helmet, and the no trespass sign as well. Love that story.

Rachel said...

Awesome story Alex, it must be amazing to see the world from that angle!