Sunday, March 20, 2011

Enchanted Forest with Matt

Enchanted Forest is my favorite trail on the Front Range. It's a short piece of single track that snakes through a rare heavily forested area, the Enchanted Forest. Matt and I rode it late in the year, mid day on a week day, which spared us from the hordes of hikers and other bikers. It was my first ride with the chest mount for the Go Pro Hero Cam. Matt is a great technical rider so he made a good reference to follow. The only problem is the top tube on my XL Superfly is so long that the camera is pointed down too far, especially on the most technical sections when I have my weight shifted farther back. The footage is good, but with an extension to angle the camera up it will be better in the future.

At the end of the trail there is a water bar made of thick rubber that is angled steeply across the trail. I've seen its insidious placement cause carnage to more than a few riders. It grabbed Matt's front tire and ripped the bike out from under him before he could react. He did a complete 360 before coming to rest and I nearly ran over his front tire. Luckily he was okay. Even the best riders go down hard sometimes and it's always the stupid little things that cause the worst carnage. The Hero Cam was rolling and the footage is preserved forever on YouTube.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dude! We need to do that again. Well, most of it anyway.