Saturday, February 26, 2011

The Blade CX2 Hero Cam

A few winters ago Doug got me one of the best Christmas gifts ever. It was a set of small remote control helicopters that fired infrared beams at each other disabling the other helicopter if it was hit. They turned out even better at driving Molly insane (Here). This evolved into a fully collective pitch RC helicopter that I spent hours trying to just hover. I got pretty good at it, but after a crash it never flew the same. The end result was it veering out of control and nearly killing Doug's roommate. It was a great crash and the end of my RC helicoptering for a year.

RC Helicopter #1


When winter came around it was time for another helicopter to occupy my mind during the cold months. I picked up a Blade CX2 for cheap off Craig's List. The Blade is co-axial meaning it has two counter rotating blades instead of a tail rotor to overcome the torque. It's smaller and easier to fly. The blades are made to self destruct if they hit anything so you don't have to worry about injuring personnel or property. I spent hours tormenting Molly (Here).

My evolution at Blade flying came to a point last fall where it was time to mount the Hero Cam to it. The problem was that the Hero Cam was too heavy and the Blade could barely get it off the ground. Mark, an expert on the matter, convinced me that a full rebuild was in order. I order the parts and got to work. It started with a rigid carbon fiber frame, powerful motors, and CNC cut aluminum rotor parts. The transformation was amazing.

The Rebuild






The new Blade CX2 had no problem hauling the Hero Cam around. If anything it made it slightly more stable because of the higher gross weight. The first project was to get some Heli Cam perspective of Molly. I did it on on a fall afternoon when Cruz was over.

Heli Cam of Tormenting Molly


The next project was to record a perspective that only a small helicopter could achieve. In the mall near my house there is a bike path that follows a creek under a busy road. It is surrounded by a pond and a grove of aspens. The aspen leaves were in peak yellow. There is no music to the shot, but I really like the perspective of the Heli Cam. When it flies down the creek it's like flying down a mini Grand Canyon. Another idea I have is find a tall building and fly out of an upper story window. The inside to outside transition will be really unique.

Heli Cam Perspective


Using my freshly honed skills I brought the Heli Cam to the Boulder Rock Club (an indoor climbing gym). There is no better venue for indoor camera mounted RC helicoptering than a climbing gym. It's open, tall, with subjects up high and down low. The Boulder Rock Club is the coolest climbing gym I've ever seen with 3 different rooms, caves, overhangs, and even a slide.

At the Boulder Rock Club


Now I'm the proud owner of an HD Hero Cam. The two problems with mounting the HD Hero Cam are it is heavier and not as "sacrificeable" if the helicopter gets away from me. I'll get the balls to mount it eventually, in the meantime I've tuned the Blade CX2 to be more agile. It's good fun outside, but really hard to land on people's heads now.

Blade CX2 Tuned for Agility


The Tradeoff is it's Harder to Land on People's Heads




No comments: