Friday, July 17, 2009

Scratching at Lookout

Last week I had a great scratching session at Lookout. It was one of those days when you had to wait for the right thermal to get up. I launch just after Sam in his paraglider. We nailed the best thermal of the day as it would turn out, but I left it to swoop a local newspaper photographer. He wrote a great article about hang gliding you can read here. The Fusion just isn't as efficient as it used to be and I didn't make it back up to the thermal core. BJ launched and we scratched for a bit together before top landing. It was my first top landing at Lookout, I opted out of a perfect approach to make one more pass and ended up low the second time. I was high enough to make the hill, but too low to make the grassy clearing and ended up in the bushes below. It was like landing in a nest of barbwire, worse yet I was wearing shorts. The result was a bloody mess - Ouch! The majority of the carnage wasn't even on the landing, it was the walk back to the grass. On the second flight BJ went first, followed by Steve, then me. We scratched again for a short while, but the soaring window was closed and soon we were on the ground. Here's a short Hero Cam video of the day. Not having Adobe Premier to edit with is really frustrating. With Windows Movie Make I can't time music to the video or control the length of fades. Although there is nothing special about it, I do really like the footage. It'll be great for a winter day when I'm wishing I could fly.

No comments: