Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Hang Glider at the St. Julian

Phoenix Multisport had its annual fund raiser gala last week at the swanky St. Julian hotel in Boulder. Sponsored athletes were invited to share our experiences and the role that our sports play in our lives. Being the only hang glider pilot involved in Phoenix I thought it would be a good opportunity to share a little about the sport with other members and supporters. Mark kindly donated a Wills Wing Falcon 143 (so it would fit) and a stand he made that held the glider and simulated flight loads on the control frame through bungees.

When I arrived at the side door of the St. Julian with a 18 foot long bag the staff's initial reaction was "You want to do what!?". Stares were abundant and traffic slowed to a crawl as I set up the glider on the brick balcony facing Canyon Drive. I couldn't believe how light the Falcon 143 was, I could pick it up with two fingers. The stand was a little confusing, but I got everything together relatively quickly. I tested it out and was amazed at how well the bungees simulated the feel of the bar in flight. The hang point is on the stand, not the glider so I didn't have to worry about people's weight.

The Demonstrator Set Up



The doors opened at 6:30pm, just enough time for me to take a quick shower and change in a room upstairs. As people trickled in I made a few rounds to say hello, then manned my post on the balcony. Nobody came, not a single person. I was hurt, but realized that maybe a sign would fix that problem. With a sign and a few volunteers to spread the word people slowly started trickling out. Jo's dad Alan was the first to give it a go. I zipped him up, hooked him and explained how the basic control inputs work. He enjoyed it thoroughly and when other cautious standbyer's saw his smile a steady stream of people lined up.

A &J



Ben, Ann Maria, Tara, Jonny V.


My Last Minute Sign



Alan Trying it Out





It was a fascinating study of the public perception of hang gliding, even in the outdoor friendly community of Boulder. Even though the glider was secured to the ground (in case of a rouge gust) and could not fly, people were scared to get close to it. The most common comments were "Is parasailing safe?" to which I would reply "Depends on who's driving the boat." Parasailing (tourists being towed in a parachute behind a boat), is commonly mistaken as the name for both hang gliding and paragliding. Then I would go on to describe the evolution of the sport and technology and how like any form of aviation with proper judgement it is very safe. As people tried the glider out I would briefly describe the aerodynamics of a turn, a stall, and angle of attack. It was gratifying to watch people's impressions go from cautious curiosity to smiles and hopefully a better understanding of the sport. I don't know that I recruited any new pilots, but perhaps I planted a seed or two. The evening was a success. After securing the glider there was dinner (Jo and I sat with her parents), speakers, a silent auction, and great company.

Phoenix Supporters Giving it a Go





Jo and her Parents at Dinner


Nick and Patty


One of the funniest moments of the night happened before the doors opened while I was making my name tag a little kid (no more than 2 feet tall) ran up and pretended to fly the glider. He was steering the bar and making flying noises. I was behind a tinted glass door so he couldn't see me. It was hilarious! I walked around the side with the harness to zip give him a proper experience, but he ran off as soon as he saw me. I yelled "Hey come back, I'll suit you up!", but he was too scared. I'm not sure where his parents were, but he was too quick for me to catch. Plus, the sight of me in a Phoenix shirt chasing little kids around the hotel probably wouldn't be a good image for the supporters!

Jacki, Ben, and Scott
(Enjoying dinner after the evening's festivities)


Mike and Tad
(Getting a chance to "fly" before I broke it down)

On behalf of everyone at Phoenix Multisport I'd like to thank Mark for his donating the glider and stand, it was a highlight of the evening.

No comments: