Saturday, July 11, 2009

Passing the Torch

When I was 11 my Mom put me on a plane and sent me to Colorado to visit my older brother Hitch. My visits out west were highlights of my youth, fostering my independence and altering my perspective on the world. In June the torch was passed when my little brother and sister John and Becky came to visit on their first trip out west. Continuing the tradition, the itinerary included 4x4 driving lessons, camping, mountain biking, and of course a stint at the go cart track. On their first day in town we headed up to the foothills which were shrouded in low clouds. It was a surreal experience as we literally drove up the side of a mountain into the clouds. Just below cloudbase we spotted two young moose. Their brown coats looked purple in the refracted flat light. Maybe they were distant cousins of Babe, Paul Bunions blue ox. Moose are the most dangerous animals in the Rocky's injuring more people every year than bears and mountain lions combined. It took a while but with some stealthy stalking I was able to get close enough to grab a few good shots.

Driving Lessons





Moose




Dogs


In the Clouds


Flowering Mountain Cactus


The next day we camped at Lake Wellington. The scenery there was spectacular, but the ladies at the campground entrance were comically mean. I wondered how someone who lived in such a beautiful place could be such a sourpuss. We set up camp on the shore of the lake and watched bald eagles hunt as the sunset. There were no grills so we had to improvise to cook turkey burgers. Everyone was disgusted when I defrosted the burgers in the lake (they were sealed in plastic), but it worked perfect.

Setting Up Camp


Hunting Bald Eagle


Lake Wellington


Poor Man's Defroster (lake), Becky is Disgusted


Turkey Burgers


Waiting for Dinner


We cooked eggs for breakfast, but they weren't much better than the turkey burgers. The dogs provided constant entertainment. As always Sugar was as good as gold, but Molly was constantly getting into trouble. up to a small waterfall on the shoulder of Wellington Butte then went mountain biking on Buffalo Creek's sweet singletrack. It was Becky's first time ever and John's first time in Colorado. I got them both Trek full suspension bikes, so they would have proper rides. After about 3 miles Becky decided she'd had enough so we turned back. I couldn't believe she'd made it that far, riding a mountain bike for the first time at altitude. She and Jo headed back to town while John and I went on a longer mission on the Colorado Trail. It rained and thundered on us the entire time and turning out to be a true epic. He did great!

Waiting for Breakfast


Molly Being Bad


Sugar Being Good


The Waterfall




Super Molly


Group Pic


Morning Breath


Mountain Biking



John's First Epic


We spent their last day hiking the dogs, hanging in Boulder, riding go carts, and the grand finally a visit to Hitch in Ft. Collins. It was short and hectic, but a great trip. The tradition has come full circle and I only hope that John and Becky memories of their visit are as fond as mine were of my trips.

The Green Front Range


Hiking the Dogs


The Other Kind of Dog


Nana and Diogee



Clouds


Visiting Hitch

3 comments:

Doreen Hardy said...

I've said it before but again, good writing! I loved the arc from visiting Hitch to visiting Hitch. John and Becky look like they had a fantastic time.

Anonymous said...

yes we had a fabulous time and no the turkey burgers were NOT safe and sanitary, evil ducks that kept stalking our camp shore pecked open the package and lake water seeped in. Not to rain on your parade ,alex. but hey they actually might've been good! i wouldnt know i didn't try one.... :) i had blast and hope to come out soon again,
john says he did to and yeah me too o and by the way this is becky

Airstream Basecamp said...

awesome