Tuesday, October 28, 2008

First Thermal Flight of the Year - October 27

I'm about 3 weeks behind on the Lee-Side right now, but this was worthy of posting in real time.

Hang Gliding has come second to mountain bike racing this year, but now that the racing season is over I've been itching for airtime. It's late October and most Front Range trees are now without leaves, but a warm spell rolled through this week with the eminent feeling that it might be the last. Temps were down in the low 4o's last night, with a forecast high today of 70 degrees. I thought there might be enough diurnal temperature swing to light off some thermals even though there's a high pressure sitting on top of Colorado.

I woke up early, pulled my old Fusion out of it's dusty PVC pipe "hanger", and headed to Look Out in Golden. I figured at the very least I'd get a launch and landing in, which I need since I'm planning on a Horse Thief cliff launch in Moab in two weeks. Slogging the 80lb Fusion up the steep hike to launch was painful, but things looked promising on top. Light thermal cycles blowing straight in and there was a gaggle of pelicans circling super high overhead. I also spotted a few local raptors working lower on the hill. It would be a good day.

The View from Launch



The Fusion Only Gets Heavier



Golden from Launch



I took my time setting up and inspected the glider and harness thoroughly since it had been so long since I last flew. In fact I don't think I've flown the Fusion this year at all. My last flight on it was at Look Out last December (Here). As I was finishing setting up a few Paragliders showed up which was great because I'd have a couple thermal markers. They all launched before me, with the last one getting off just as I was finishing my hang check.

Paragliders Getting High



As I stepped up to launch the wind turned slightly cross to the south so I waited for a good cycle to straighten it out. All the paragliders got up at first, but eventually everyone sunk out but two. They were working a good thermal climbing to well over 800 feet above launch. As I watched a straight cycle came in. It wasn't strong, but I just wanted to get off so I took it. The last time I flew was 6 weeks ago on a single surface Airborne Fun in Australia. The Fusion in light wind couldn't have been more different, so I ran hard making sure to have a ton of speed to get airborne.

Looking Down Launch



I was alone on launch so I don't have any pics, but I found some unposted ones of a Lookout flight in summer of 2007.

Launching



Grabbing for an RC Glider
(out of frame)


Beer Thermals Downwind of the Coors Plant



The lift was light and unorganized, but I managed to stay up scratching off the point to the North East. I never really got high, but never really got lower either. I was waiting for a boomer to come through and take me away, but that would be a lot to expect in late October. It was good to brush off my thermal skills and get a feel for my glider again. After about 35 minutes everyone that sunk out was back and I knew I wouldn't be able to stay up if I had to share the real estate in front of launch. Satisfied, I went on a glide towards downtown Golden. There had been lift in the valley earlier and I thought maybe I'd find something good over a recently paved parking lot. I made just shy of downtown with no luck so I decided to turn back with enough altitude to make the LZ comfortably. I shot my normal approach, crabbing slightly before the flare because there was a slight left crosswind. I stuck my landing, running it out with 2 steps.

I had a smile on my face the whole way home. It was good to dust off my skills, get some currency for 2 weeks from now and feel like a hang glider pilot again. I left the glider on the truck as it's supposed to be in the 80's tomorrow. Got to love Colorado!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All right!!!

AGW