Monday, October 13, 2008

Australia - Kings Park and Perth

I'll be wrapping up our Australia Trip with just a few more posts. Here is a compilation of photos from Perth and Kings Park. Kings Park is a 100 year old stately park overlooking downtown Perth and the Swan Bay on the western edge of Perth. Peggy, Mom, Jo and I crammed into Peggy's tiny Toyota Echo and spent a late afternoon touring the park.

Kings Park


Blue Flower



I love small cars and managed to park Peggy's tiny Echo in a perfect spot in front of the transplanted Boab Tree display so Peggy could have a clear view. Everyone thought I had backed off the edge of the payment as I lodged the car on top of a concrete curb so we would have enough room to get out. I knew what I was doing the whole time and did my best to tune out the 2 back seat and 1 front seat drivers having a fit.

Peggy and the Toyota Echo


Perfect


The Backseat Drivers


Transplanted Boab Tree
(HDR)
The Australian Boab Tree is native to Western Australia, it's large trunk is used to store water in WA's dry climate.


Jo in the Trees


Australian Crow

Crows in Australia are extremely vocal and make a very distinct sound that constantly blankets the background noise. It sounds like someone saying the word "rock", but muffled and into an aluminum can.


Jo and the Crow


Laughing Kookaburra
Our trip to King's Park was before the Kookaburra encounter I posted about on our balcony (2 posts below). I really wanted to see one and Peggy knew exactly where to go. She was dead on, I found this one within five minutes of getting out of the car.


Downtown Perth from Kings Park
(HDR)



Stitched
(click to enlarge)


Dino's in Kings Park



Perth - Jo and I stopped in downtown Perth on our way home from Caversham Wildlife park. When we walked out of the train station it was about 9pm on a Monday night and the only thing open besides pubs and clubs was Subway. Odd, huh?! We took in the late night urban setting while enjoying a couple of foot longs and Subway cookies.

Downtown


Hungry Jacks
(Burger King)


Jo Must have a Thing for Pilots


Pay Toilet


Wet Paint


Empty Street Mall


Capital Building of WA


Geometrical Patterns


Night in the City


Red, Yellow, and Green


Full Moon over Perth


No comments: