Saturday, February 09, 2008

A Memorial for Bob

My friend Bob passed away last weekend. Bob was a very influential person in my path to becoming an adult and a spiritually healthy person. He led by example, called things like he saw them, practiced tough love at times, but was always willing to help other people - Most importantly he was a good friend. I've always tried to see him and the rest of the "Monday night" crew when at home. Bob along with the other Bob and Lee put together an anual rafting trip down the Cheat River Canyon in West Virginia. Most of my Bob pics are from over the years padding the Cheat. Here are a few.






Bobs memorial service was Saturday back in Maryland. I couldn't make it, so I decided to honor Bob in my own way, in Colorado. I woke up early, printed out his picture, loaded up the dogs, and made my way to the Shadow Canyon Trail head. My plan was to hike to the top of South Boulder Peak, 8549 feet, and "let Bob go". South Boulder Peak is the highest peak in the Eastern Boulder hills. It has stunning 360 degree views of Boulder and Denver to the East and the peaks of the Continental Divide and Rocky Mountain National Park to the West. It would be the perfect spot for a memorial.

South Boulder Peak (HDR)



Last night a low pressure system moved through bringing wind speeds of 70 mph. It was still gusting to about 30mph in the flatlands this morning when I started out. The 3000 foot climb to the peak was grueling, the trail was covered in snow and the winds were relentless. I kept a good pace for the first 1.5 miles, but once I got into the steep Shadow Canyon climb I started to bonk. My weeks of inactivity fighting a sinus infection have taken a tool on my base fitness level. In the canyon the trail went from steep to vertical and the snow depth doubled. I was nervous about slipping and hitting my head, as it's only been a week since my concussion. The doctor told me even the slightest bump could cause permanent brain damage, especially in the first month. I motivated myself by thinking about Bob. Dragging myself up an icy canyon was least I could do to honor his years of service.

Alex Bonking, Dogs Relaxing





I pushed through, one snowy rocky ledge at a time and eventually I reached the saddle at about 8000 feet. I was at the top of the ridge and wind speed was up to a steady 40mph. The snow and winds did do some good, I didn't see a soul once I started up the canyon. I had the whole mountain to myself. I put on another layer and headed up the ridge line to South Boulder Peak. As I neared the top I was post-holing in about 3 feet of snow. It was great! Just shy of the peak I had to cross a steep boulder field. The snow made it treacherous by hiding the patchwork of deep cracks between the boulders. Every step needed to be probed first to make sure it was solid. At the first big crack Diogee and Sugar had had enough and refused to go any further. I understood so I leashed them up and they bedded down in the snow while Molly and I stubbornly pressed on. I did managed to fall in a couple cracks, but they weren't deep. Alas, I was at the top!

Trail (HDR)



Boulder Field


On Top



Picture of Bob



Views from the Top




Stitched



The wind was a sustained 45mph, but that was good because it would carry the picture of Bob far. I anchored myself on the peak and let my heart rate slow down. After a few moments I said a few prayers, thanked God for having Bob in my life and let him go. The strong winds ripped the picture from my hands. As I drifted into the horizon I caught a glimpse of Bob looking back at me. In a few seconds it was gone. After a few more moments of silence I headed back down. It was a contrast to find peace in such a harsh environment. Once across the boulder field I felt a huge sense of relief. I bedded down in the snow with the dogs and had an apple.

Cheers Bob...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

that's awesome alex, sorry you couldn't be here with us. Look forward to seeing you at the Cheat in May!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for that Alex. It really was amazing, and I am sure Bob really appreciated it :). Sorry you couldnt be here, but we know you were in spirit. Just make sure you make it out in July....

LOTS OF FIREWORKS!!!!!!!! :)

Love,
Aleah

Anonymous said...

Alex,
You always have such great ways of looking at things. I am sorry that you couldn't be here. Bob would have liked your tribute. We miss you in MD. See you at the Cheat.

OB said...

Nice personal memorial. Cheers bro ~ OB

Matt S. said...

Thanks for sharing that spiritual journey, Alex. It was a very fitting tribute. Glad to hear that you are on the mend!
- Matt

Anonymous said...

Alex, thanks for the beautiful tribute to my brother, Bob. This is Bob's "baby" sister living in Denver, and my heart is touched by your memorial. I am sure that Bob is smiling. Great spirit!

Shapiro said...

Beautiful and fitting tribute man. Your a good friend.
Cheers,
Shapiro