Tuesday, October 30, 2007

New York City

Two Weeks ago Jo and I went to New York City for her Dad's birthday and to visit her friend Ally. It was only my second time to NYC ever and 14 years since my first visit. Needless to say I prefer mountains to skyscrapers. After the birthday party we spent a day in Manhattan or "Man-natton" as I was intentionally, obliviously mis-pronouncing it to the disgust of New Yorkers. Ally recently started road biking so we decided the best way to see the city was to rent some "mountain bikes". They were cheap and I'll just say that the definition of "mountain bike" varies greatly between Boulder, CO and New York City. We had a blast touring the city and doing laps around Central Park. I couldn't resist using my fitness and altitude advantage to school some locals on their gucci road bikes. Some weren't too happy getting passed by me on a cruiser bike, I mean "mountain bike!" I passed a guy riding a $6000 Specialized Tarmac SL on the only climb in the park, he was pissed! He stuck on my wheel until the top of the climb where I put in a last ditch effort. It hurt bad, but I dropped him. I stopped after a while to wait for the girls and he caught me. The indignant look he gave me reminded me of the same look my cat gives me when I move him off my desk against his wishes! The whole trip was good fun. Jo's parents treated us to a great dinner and Ally took us out for Fondu. Hmm Cheese...

All Dressed Up


Local



Ally and Jo on the "mountain bike"



West Side Bike Path



Detour Under the Bridge




Graffiti


Mugger's Tunnel


No Hands in Central Park


This Guy Didn't Have a Chance


The Girls in Central Park


Urban Cycling

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can easily imagine the smile on your face at the top of the hill as that guy road past. Gave me a good laugh.