Thursday, September 27, 2007

Road de' La Sals

Last weekend Jo, Lisa, Doug, and I headed to Moab to honor my friend Dre's life and death with a memorial ride on the Porcupine Rim trail. It was his birthday weekend and a much needed chance for all of us to get away. We had an awesome time and there was much love and support to go around. The ride was a perfect mix of celebration and grieving, Kirstin couldn't have planned it better. At the end I rode a section of trail that I had only cleared once, but crashed hard on slickrock Sunday when my front tire failed (i.e. previous post).

The weather was perfect Saturday day followed by monsoonal rain during the night and then clearing up again on Sunday. The desert is transformed by the rain and I'm sure Dre wasn't going to let use get by without having a bit of an epic. I desperately wanted to take pictures of all the washes and waterfalls that have carved out the slickrock over the millenia, but it was dark and could not be seen. Instead, Jo and I laid in the tent and listened. As each cell moved over us the supreme quiet of the desert gave way to a symphony of rain pelting against the tent, wind gusting through the trees, and thunder echoing off canyon the walls. Needless to say I didn't get much sleep, at one point it was raining so hard I though the Colorado River was going to flood us out.

I wasn't in top photographic form on this trip so I don't have much to post, but I did get some shots on this ranch road leading up to the La Sals.

Road de' La Sals


Jo de' La Sals


Ouch I stubbed my Toe de' La Sals


Molly Dog de' La Sals


Dirty Shirt and Duck Tape de' La Sals


Chickas de' La Sals


Surfing de' La Sals


Crew de' La Sals

No comments: