Monday, April 09, 2007

Tumble

Looping my hang glider is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I've been told by both previous owners that to loop my Fusion 150 I just need to get as vertical as possible, hold it for 7 seconds, and simply ease the bar out into the loop. It's critical to make sure to maintain positive bar pressure through the loop. But then I think about how one of those owners balled up a brand new comp glider and see videos like this one Lee sent me and I'm content to stick to wing overs.



It looks like the pilot went negative on the top side of the loop and fell into the keel causing it to rip through the upper surface of the glider. It's hard to be certain though with grainy YouTube video.

3 comments:

James Butler said...

That is the dumbest idea I have heard in a long time.

Here is my question: Do you have a parachute? (Did you notice the guy wasn't moving as he fell to the ground?) Besides killing yourself falling to the ground, you could have a heart attack while falling to your death.

Just my opinion... For me 'risk' is driving a couple of blocks before putting my seatbelt on.

Cloudbase said...

I don't think you should sugarcoat it so much, why don't you tell me how you really feel...

Don't worry the loop is way outside of my risk envelope.

Anonymous said...

Glad my link scared some sense into you. Not that you couldn't do advanced acro safely, just that you should have a new glider and a harness better suited for acro. Also living somwhere like the point where you get A LOT more airtime.

PS: this is what the alphabet would look like if Q and R didn't exist.