Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Crack Jump (Photo 29)

I thought I'd end 29 Hours - 29 Photos on a non-hang gliding shot. To get to the cliff launch you have to walk about 1/4 mile out to the end of a 1000 foot tall rock peninsula. There are a few massive cracks that need to be crossed on the way. They are about 300 feet deep and range in width from 12 feet to just 3 feet. The crack in the picture is about 150 feet deep and about 7 feet wide at the rim. It narrows to 3 feet wide closer to the cliff edge which is the desired crossing point. Jeff, Adam, Shela, and Jo all crossed there and had a good view of me and the crack. When I was judging the distance Jeff's words for me were "Come on man, don't do it." From my perspective it didn't look that bad, I've jumped that far before, but seeing the shot later from their angle gave me chills. There wasn't room for a running start so I jumped from a standstill and you can see from the trajectory of my front foot I landed about 10 inches from the rim.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like the flapping of your arms helped your glide.

Anonymous said...

Nice jump! Hey where are the New Year's Eve photos? Any good ones of James and me that you could send along?

James Butler said...

You are not right in the head are you? What do you think of this story, Mr. Pilot?
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/illinois/chi-ap-il-ohare-sighting,0,5526147.story

rustafarian said...

yeah, i'm with lee, i think your arms gave you those extra 10 inches...