Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Wingsuit Speed Gliding

Here's another wingsuit video I stumbled upon. I've seen this shot before in a Warren Miller film. Although he is gliding by wearing a wingsuit the jumper is still basically free falling. You would have to have an exact knowledge of your glide ratio (the horizontal distance gained for the vertical distance lost) to get as close to the mountain as he does. It's not like a hang gilder or other aircraft that has instant pitch response, meaning if the base jumper came in too steep he would probably impact the ground before his pitch correction took effect. One of my favorite things about hang gliding is flying close to the ground as fast as possible. I think the speed of the wing suit would be a rush, but I would miss the control of a hang glider.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That looks pretty badass.

James Butler said...

I just want to know who the first guy was who tried one of those wing-suit things. Did he live through the first flight/fall? How did he fit his balls into the wing-suit?