Monday, November 20, 2006

Sunday at Look Out

The winter weather pattern in Colorado has arrived early this year shutting down the hang gliding on the front range. In December (not October) the jet stream moves south from Canada bringing with it the full brunt of winter storm systems. On the ground this can be felt with strong westerly surface winds. Soaring on the front range requires light or east winds, which have been rare lately as a result. Below is a graph of the wind speed and direction for the past 30 days in Boulder. There are many days with peak gusts above 30mph and a gust as high of 65mph 25 days ago (highlighted). Look Out mountain in Golden requires light east/southeast winds to be soarable (also highlighted) of which there is a noticeable dirth. Any window of light east winds is like a gold nugget this time of year.



The forecast for Sunday showed light winds out of the southeast. Jo had never seen me fly before so after sleeping in we grabbed 3 of the 7 dogs at her house that day and headed to Golden. I met Jo in July when her dog Deogie attacked Molly at the pet store. The two dogs have not met formally since, we have been waiting for the right moment. Today would be the day.



When we arrived at the LZ the sun was already falling towards the horizon. Steve Ford had flown a sled run in his Finsterwalder glider and was breaking down in the LZ. Time was short, so I made good time weaving past all the tourists on Look Out road. Molly was riding in the front with Deogie and Sugar (the 3rd dog) in the back of the truck. We let Molly out first so she could have a head start and then Deogie. Launch is an open area so Molly could get away if she needed to. We watched the two dogs as I hiked the glider up from the road and they seemed to be fine. Deogie sniped at Molly once as I was about to hook into my glider, but that was it. Left to right; Sugar, Deogie, and Molly.



The wind was starting to blow from the west (not good) by the time I had the glider set up, but there were lulls with no wind at all. I was determined to wait for a lull and run like hell to get off the ground. The launch at Look Out is steep enough to get off in no wind, but a fair amount of running is required. Look at that windsock!



Jo wrangled all three dogs (Molly freaks out when I pick up the glider) and I waited on launch for a lull cycle. There is a tree with a wind sock down the hill and left of launch. My plan was to run all the way down the hill to the road if I needed to. I could clear the tree by turning right.
At the first lull I walked, jogged, and ran, and ran, and ran. I was airborne sooner than I thought so I dove at the tree to show off a bit. Lift was non-existent giving me about 5 minutes airtime before I was on the ground. The LZ is tight, but slightly up hill so a no-wind landing there was a piece of cake.

1 comment:

Adam Trahan said...

Great blog, I enjoy reading about your adventures. Can you help? Steve Ford is an old friend, can you send him my way if you know him? hangwind(at)cox.net Thank you, adam