Thursday, November 16, 2006

Camels Part 2

Not wanting to spend our last hang gliding trip this year trying to stay up in light conditions at the Point, Adam and I headed south to Jeff's house on our way to Camels. At Jeff's a look at the weather revealed soaring at Camels wasn't promising. So instead we decided to mount smoke and cameras on our gliders and take advantage of smooth air for a photo opportunity. At 3800 feet over the valley we would still get 15-20 minutes of airtime from Camels. The plan was for Adam and I to mount smoke canisters on our gliders and fly in formation while Jeff, with multiple cameras mounted, would fly around us getting shots from different angles. Jeff and Adam loaded up the gliders, harnesses, smoke canisters, cameras and mounts while I tried tape a plant I broke in the living room back together.

The Happy Valley



Heading south on I-15 reality set in, making this plan happen would require a lot of luck. It had just snowed and the road to up to launch would be well above the snow line. The 4X4 road to Camels is sketchy when dry with lots of steep drop offs, snow could make it impassable. As Camels came into view we could see the tops of the mountain where hidden in clouds. If the clouds didn't burn off it would be pointless to even brave the road up to launch. Even if the clouds did burn off we would need the winds from the right direction to give us a launch window long enough to get three gliders off simultaneously.

Loading up the Gliders in the LZ



Camels could not offer a better LZ. It's a large piano shaped field that is easy to find from the air and provides approaches from any direction. By the time we arrived the clouds were burning off and our spirits were high. Adam and I had been jamming to Matisyahu on the way there and Jeff got sucked in on the way up to launch. The snow wasn't too deep so we made good time to launch. The last 1/4 mile to launch is the worst. The road is rutted, narrow, very steep, and has a lot of exposure on one side. If a vehicle went off the side it would roll 3800 feet to valley below.

Last 1/4 Mile



Turning Around on launch
(There is only enough room for one vehicle on launch and turning it around requires help)



As we set up our gliders the wind was blowing straight into launch. It looked like luck was on our side. Jeff lent me a glider and I tried to ignore my cold as took forever to rig the unfamiliar glider. As I rigged I noticed the wind was shifting to the right. If it continued to cross from the right we wouldn't be able to launch, but it seemed to be holding at about 20 degrees right. After the gliders were rigged Jeff mounted cameras. Adam and I threaded string through our sails to the smoke canisters so we could blow them in flight.

My Borrowed Glider on Launch



Adam Rigging Smoke Canisters



The temperature was hovering around freezing and Jeff was worried the camera batteries wouldn't last. I would launch first, Jeff next, and then Adam so he could turn on the camera at the last minute, hopefully the batteries would last the duration of the flight. I hooked into my glider and Jeff gave me a hang check. As walked the glider over to launch I kept the right wing down so the wind wouldn't catch it and pop the wing. On launch the wind was still crossing from the right at about 7-10 mph, but there were lulls. I needed to wait for a lull long enough for all us get off. This was the only time I'd flown Camels since my crash as a new pilot 4 years earlier. It was in the back of my mind, but I was mainly focused on picking a lull cycle and launching in the cross wind.

Cold Jeff



After 5 minutes that seemed like an eternity a lull came and I decided that would be the best cycle we would have. I kept my right wing low and was off the ground after 3 steps. I flew straight away from launch, got into my harness and grabbed my smoke canister trigger string. I looked back and saw Jeff was off and Adam was in his launch run. We had agreed to rendevous above a ridgeline below launch. The glider I was flying was much slower than Jeff or Adam's and so we all got there at the same time. I pulled my smoke and looked back but nothing was happening. Adam flew into formation off my right and I could see Jeff following above and behind us.

The cold winter air was as smooth as glass, perfect for formation flying. Not having to focus on finding lift the three of us had a ball just flying around. Adam and I took turns flying lead in formation and Jeff snuck up on us and dive bombed us just a few feet above our sails. Over the LZ Jeff and I both gave the neighborhood kids below a show with some wingovers before landing. Adam set up his approach so that it would end in a spot landing for the crowd that had gathered. He came in a little hot and had to drag his feet to avoid hitting the crowd. He flared about 4 feet from a group of kids - who for some reason didn't move as he blazed towards them. I guess they never realized they were in danger. We all played it off like it was planned!

Click Here to see our footage from the air.

The sun was kissing the horizon as we started to break down our gliders. With a 1.5 hour shuttle drive to launch and back we split up to conserve time. Adam and I drove up to fetch Adam's car while Jeff broke all 3 gliders down. Sunset from Launch was spectacular.

Utah Lake


Launch at Sunset



Driving Down


Adam leaves for South Africa in December. Although not the most spectacular trip we have put together I'm amazed at what we pulled off with such short notice, sickness, and weather stacked against us!

2 comments:

OB said...

Bro - My house is at the mouth of Provo canyon, not A.F. canyon. You're in the valley, which is close enough. Nice post.

Anonymous said...

nice one dude! Hey jeff, howz the taped plant doing?