Sunday, January 08, 2012

Snowy Owl

Yesterday I flew from San Francisco to Pasco, Washington, to Denver. As I was clearing the runway in Pasco I spotted a white figure perched on a runway distance remaining sign. It was a gigantic snowy owl. It was at least two feet tall with haunting yellow eyes. I think it was a female, who's white plumage sharply contrasted the yellow grass of the airport grounds. After we taxied to the terminal I asked the tower controller if he could spot her with his binoculars. The terminal was easily half a mile away and I could still make her silhouette with my naked eyes. He had no problem finding her and decided such a large bird on the edge of the runway was a threat to both parties involved. He called Airport Operations to drive out and scare her off the runway. I had a small pair of binoculars and watched as the truck approached. Snowy owls nest on the ground and have no fear defending it against arctic foxes, grey wolves, or other larger predators. The truck had to get really close before she budged. When she did spread her wings and fly away the enormity of her size became apparent. Ed, the operations guy, said her wingspan was at least five feet. Ed napped a few close ups and offered to email them to me, which I readily accepted. Seeing such a dramatic animal so close up in the wild (of the airport) really made my day!

iPhone Pic through my Binoculars


Cropped
(you can see her standing on the black sign directly below the left side of the house)


Close Up
Photo Courtesy of Ed Bayha


Flying Away
Photo Courtesy of Ed Bayha

No comments: