Tuesday, June 08, 2010

Villa Grove on Memorial Day

I had to work Memorial Day weekend, but got off at 9:00am on Memorial Day. Steve and Grant kindly waited for me and we headed out to catch an evening glass off at Villa Grove. Villa Grove is at the northern tip of the Sangre De Cristo Mountains. The launch is at 9400' over looking the San Luis Valley.

The Sangre De Cristo Mountains


Launch
(at the top of the brown triangle under Galena Peak)


Drive Up to Launch


We got there the wind in the valley was strong out of the south, so we relaxed and waited for the evening glass. I rigged the T2C and was happy to see that the Phoenix Multisport logo I had just applied was holding strong. It would be my first flight with a newly acquired Rotor harness and Icaro helmet.

New Stickers on the Phoenix Glider



New Harness and Helmet


Brave Paraglider Going Up


And Trying to Come Down By Folding His Wing into "Big Ears"


Larry launched first followed by a few others. My launch was clean, but my hang length was a little lower than anticipated. The air in front of launch was ratty so I got the hell out of there to adjust my harness. I ran to the south and easily climbed to 12,000'. It took a while, but I got my harness sorted and began to enjoy the flight.

Larry Launching His Custom Harness


My Launch



The strong south flow in the valley had increased and people were hovering down to land in 25mph winds. I had no desire to do land while it was strong so I hung out on the shoulder of a ridge and waited for the evening glass off to develop. It took about an hour, but soon the air calmed and started rising. I worked my way back to Galena Peak and soon was at 14,000'.

Waiting Out the Strong Air at 12,000' South of Launch


Digging My New Helmet


It was a typical Villa Glass off with gentle lifting air everywhere, that you could do no wrong in. The sun was low and cast long shadows of Galena, Mount Otto, and Bushnell peaks deep into the next valley. Grant and I were the only pilots left in the air, unfortunately Steve got shut down by strong cross winds on launch. I did my best not to take it for granted and boated around with Grant enjoying the incredible performance of the T2C.

Looking North at 14,000'


Turning Over Mount Otto


Grant Over the Trees


Galena Peak and Its Shadow


Pure Bliss


Video of Me Making a Pass Over Grant


Video of 360 Degree View at 14,000'


After another hour the sun was kissing the horizon and I was getting cold. Grand and I headed out over the valley and spiraled down to land at Larry's house. Total air time 3:00.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice one. The new glider looks sweet.
AGW