Thursday, December 17, 2009

Wildlife in Mark's Backyard

Mark Windsheimer runs Airtime Above Hang Gliding, he's the go-to guy for lessons, parts, wings, and repairs on the Front Range. I spent quite a few afternoons at his place in Evergreen this fall getting my Talon sorted and had the opportunity to take in the wildlife in his back yard. Every time I turned around there was a different cheeky and mischievous animal and except for a timid black bear.

Furry Antlers







Hairy Woodpecker









Cheeky Pine Squirrel



This was the first bear I've seen in Colorado. Jo, Mark, and I were hanging in his front yard packing up my glider when Jo noticed the dogs were completely quiet and fixated on something in the woods. Nana barked a bark we had never heard before, it was quiet and muted, almost under her breath. Then Jo spotted a small black bear at the edge of the woods. I ran for the camera and stalked closer to get a good shot. The bear was shy and wouldn't let me get close, the best shot I could get was him running away.

Bashful Black Bear