Sunday, April 05, 2009

Sleeping Great Horned Owl

A couple weeks ago I spotted this sleepy great horned owl on the side of the road in Eastern Colorado. As I sped by I could only see the nest with a figure sticking out of the top. I thought it was just a hawk or maybe an eagle, but when I got turned around I couldn't believe my eyes. It was a great horned owl staring back at me in broad daylight. I was about 70 yards away from him, but could easily see his ear tufts blowing in the strong southerly breeze. He watched me cautiously as I maneuvered into a good shooting position. My instinct was that he would fly away if I got out of the truck so I shot from inside with the windows down. The shots are nothing spectacular, but it was cool to see a great horned in daylight.




There is a mating pair I see occasionally where I walk the dogs and an individual I've seen a few times near the Boulder Res. Unfortunately, every time I spot them it's always too dark to photograph.

No comments: