Saturday, April 18, 2009

Out in the Cold Rain and Snow

If I could describe the past 7 days in one word it would be FRUSTRATION!

Last Sunday I was scheduled to ride 3:30 minutes. The problem was that a low pressure system had closed in on the Front Range bringing cold rain and snow. Jo and I missioned, all-weather style, out to the mouth of Boulder Canyon to ride the Switzerland loop (description here). Equipped with base, insulation, and shell layers, hand warmers, snowboarding gloves, 3 pairs of socks, and neoprene booties we headed out in light rain showers. It was an epic ride as the showers turned to rain, snow, and heavy snow; then back to rain as we descended. The descent downhill was a matter of pure survival, requiring a max speed of 15mph to keep our body core temps up and pedaling backwards at a high cadence to keep the blood flowing to our toes. After the ride I went straight to work for an all-nighter that was beset by weather delays and no sleep.

Riding up in the Rain




Town of Sunset




In the Snow



Glad that week and its storm system was over I looked forward to this week. Here was my training schedule:

Monday: 1 hour, 45 minutes.
Tuesday: Rest Day.
Wednesday: 2 hours, 30 minutes.
Thursday: 2 hours.
Friday: 3 hours.
Saturday: 4 hours, 30 minutes.

Of the 13 hours and 45 minutes I was scheduled to ride this week, I only got 2 hours and 47 minutes in, all of it due to bad weather. After only 4 hours of weather-delayed sleep on Sunday night, I was too tired to ride Monday. Tuesday was a beautiful day, but I had to go back to work all day.

Wednesday, another beautiful day, I rallied home from work to ride, but didn't get on my bike until the beautiful weather had given way to cold wind and rain from another approaching storm system. The Superfly was too dirty to ride from the last storm and I didn't have time to clean it. I pulled the HiFi down off it's rack and headed to Heil Ranch. The workout required multiple climbs of varying steepness so I decided to ride some proper singletrack. White Ranch, my first option, was literally engulfed in flames by a controlled burn which had the whole trail system shut down. Heil Ranch was the only other place I could make it to before dark that offered a long enough network of trails to accomplish my training assignment.

In fading sunlight, I clipped in and I headed out from the Heil Ranch parking lot. The moderate rocky climb leads to the Picture Rock trailhead. Last year the Boulder Mountain Biking Alliance opened the Picture Rock Trail which connects Heil and Hall Ranches. I applaud their efforts, but I absolutely hate the Picture Rock Trail. Its constant rocky surface is more annoying than technical, not requiring any real skill to negotiate. Which, combined with constant 90 degree turns, serves the indented purpose of keeping cyclist's speed down. There are wonderfully constructed flagstone berms, but they are completely unnecessary because you never get fast enough to need them. It's a quintessential example of the new style of politically correct trail building. Designed with intentional speed deterrents which cater to hikers at the expense of a good ride. Riding aggressively with 4 inches of full travel and 29er wheels I never was able to get much above 28 mph. Maybe it's just the rider, but I digress...

Glad to have Picture Rock behind me I pushed on to the Hall Ranch Trail head. The sun had peaked out underneath turbulent storm clouds and lit up Hall's sculptured rock formations in brilliant shades of red and orange. It was a wonderful show! On the climb to the upper loop I passed waves of riders finishing their after-work rides. In the technical rock garden part of the climb I had to put a foot down twice, which was surprising on the HiFi, because on the right day I can clear it no problem on the Superfly. As I started climbing up the top loop I was challenged by another rider. It being an intensity day I allowed myself to defend his attack and took off. After an impressive push by both of us I opened up a nice gab, bu the 27.5lb HiFi forced me to work hard for it. As I neared the bottom of the loop the sun had long set so I decided to bail out on the Antelope Trail. From there I rode through Lyons and back to the truck on the shoulder of Hwy 36 in the dark. Totals, 30.3 miles, in 2:47.

Heil / Hall Ranch Loop



I'm slightly out of fit on the HiFi and 2:47 was too long for my aggravated knee to take. I reserve long rides for the Superfly. Thursday I woke up in massive pain. Conveniently, I had a physical therapy session scheduled at noon and decided to take the day off to allow the anti-inflammatory treatment time to work. That night the full brunt of the storm hit dropping 12" of snow at my house by mid-day Friday. Having lost 2 big days of training I put together plan B. If I left at 6:00am today I could be in Fruita by 10:00am with plenty of time to do a 5 hour ride and mission home in time for work Sunday. Last night a report from Doug, who got stranded on a closed interstate 70 below Loveland Pass, quickly decimated any hope I had of making it to Fruita. It took them 10 hours to travel 3 miles after being turned around before the tunnel. Outside as I write this persistent rain is doing a good job of transforming 12" of snow into 12" of slush.

I guess the lesson in all of my ranting is that instead of being frustrated by circumstances outside of my control I must adapt. Although I feel like I'm wasting away and not building much needed base fitness I could probably use the rest. Perhaps I should talk to my coach about turning this week into a rest week. Life is good and not getting out to ride because of snow is a wonderful problem to have. I guess I should just go out enjoy the snow while its here, the dogs are always in need of a good hike...

No comments: