Sunday, November 30, 2008

The White Rim 2008 - Sharing the Experience

Since the riding the White Rim trail for the first time in 2005, I've gone back every year. Last year I broke off from Doug and Ramin to do the 103 mile, self supported ride through Canyon Lands National Park alone (here). Being alone in the winter desert, especially when an injury or mechanical failure could turn into a survival situation, is an intense experience, but the ride has always been more than just a test of self reliance, it is a spiritual experience. It's about being humbled as I descend from the high desert into an endless sea of rock that literally reads like a history book millions of years into the past. The time portrayed on the great canyon walls reminds me that my meager existence is nothing more than a tiny blip in space and time. With no cell phones, internet, traffic, shopping malls, HOA's, or other evils and distractions I'm am left only with my thoughts to contemplate how well I am fulfilling my obligation to be a good, decent, and responsible human being. It's also a time that I am able use the silence, broken only by the rhythmic sounds of crushed dirt, squeaky pedals, bike chain, and gears to clear my mind enough to hear the voice of my creator, if only for a few short, fleeting moments. Here's a shot from 2007 descending down to the White Rim. You can see where the white band of rock starts at the end of the straight section.



At peace with the world, more than at any other time in my year perhaps, I've always finished the trip with a "no stepper" cliff launch off Horse Thief Canyon. It is a leap (or step) of faith that is a test of my skill as a pilot and daringness as a person. It is exercising a dream that I've had as long as can remember - To Fly! To fly in the most raw and natural way, to accept my fear and humanity and step off a 1000 foot tall cliff into the deep red abyss below. Then after briefly soaring against carmel textured cliff walls, to land filled with a hyper dose of gratitude that I am able to live my dreams and experience something that only of sliver of human beings on this earth have.



This year I thought I'd put that gratitude to work and share my experiences above with others, or more accurately provide them the opportunity to have their own. After racing for and becoming friends with the people of Phoenix Multisport, I knew Phoenix would be the perfect way to share the trip. I met with Jacki and Scott back in the summer to propose the idea. They were onboard from the start and we were able to secure permits for 30 people on the second weekend of November. Mike started a training program for people who needed it to get in shape, while I put together a slide show of past trips to garner interest. I used the word "work" in the first sentence of this paragraph deliberately because the planning and execution of the trip was just that. Jacki, Scott, the Ben's, Cristi, Mike, Jo, Dawn, Jon, Nick, Josh, Chris, and I all invested time and energy into making it happen, but it was well worth it and we were rewarded with an amazing trip!

The plan was to break the ride up over four days. After meeting Friday morning we would descend down the South Fork of Shafer Canyon to the White Rim and ride 15 miles to Airport Campground. The second day would be the longest, covering about 28 miles, finishing the with the steep climb up Murphy's Hogback to camp on top. This campground was the most scenic, sitting on a 600 foot tall mesa. Day three would be about 25 miles with a net descent down to the Green River, followed by another steep climb up Hardscrabble Hill and then down to the Hardscrabble Campground on the Green River. The last day would be another short 15 miler, along the Green River to finish the ride with the climb out of Mineral Bottom on Mineral Bottom Road. I planned to cliff launch my glider off the top of Mineral Bottom as the group approached. At the top people would have the option to ride or shuttle back to their cars parked at the end of Mineral Bottom Road. This is a poor map for blog standards, but I couldn't scan a clean Topo image. Click on it for a larger image.


I'll break up the posts to follow by days of the trip, plus a few photograph specific posts...

No comments: