Monday, December 08, 2014

Winter Flying Launches

One of my favorite things about hang gliding is that you have to work for it.  In Colorado, you really have to work for it.  It's always a mission involving long hours and lots of miles, 4x4ing, and being a wizard at reading micro scale high altitude mountain weather.  It's been an unseasonably warm few weeks of winter so far this year, meaning the launch road to Villa Grove was still dry and passable.  I missioned the 6 hours roundtrip on Saturday in hopes of squeaking out a flight.  

As I crested Pancha Pass winter was in full effect.  There was no snow on the ground, but the peaks of the Sangre de Cristo mountains were shrouded in a thick cloud layer.  As the ragged cloud base slowly lifted it revealed apparitions of frosted conifers.  The muted brown, green, and grey colors of early winter in the San Louis Valley painted a picture of solitude and isolation, qualities that make the tiny town of Villa Grove a magical place.  It's the kind of place that most people drive by without a passing glance, but those of us who know see it as the gateway to best flying site in Colorado.

On launch patience was key.  Three pilots ahead of me found launch-able cycles and headed off into the thick winter air.  By the time I hooked in it was consistently blowing down, but I found a lull where it was just no wind.  Launch is at about 10,000 feet.  Greg had a simmering cigarette that was putting out great smoke signals.  Everyone was super apprehensive.  I considered their experience and opinions, but also felt confident it was safe and well within my ability.  I channelled my raw desire to fly and used my marginal fitness to power off the 15 foot ramp with ferocity.  There was a minefield of rocks below.  The glider was flying solidly in ground effect by the end of the ramp and the energy trend was going in the right direction.  I held it in ground effect extra long for good measure and pulled up with grace to launch height.  Even my ragged out T2C is an energy machine!  It was more intense than a cliff launch, but incredibly fulfilling.  There was no lift, but I made it to the landing X at Larry's house with 400 feet to spare.  I enjoyed a few wing overs and set up a high energy approach, turning base at wind sock height.  I had a bit too much VG and had to drag a foot to get down to flaring speed - cold toes on hard rocks = ouch!  I flared a tad early, but better too early than late when landing above 8000 feet!






Winter Launches

1 comment:

Laurie said...

Hi thanks for postinng this