Monday, September 17, 2012

Wyoming - Jackson

After an epic day in Grand Teton National Park Jo and I headed south to Jackson, but not before one last morning coffee session on the shore of Jackson Lake.  On the way south we hit the classic Teton overlooks for a few shots, then headed east at Blacktail Butte to ride Shadow Mountain.  It's a short loop with a  dirt-road-climb that rewards your suffering with views of the Tetons and the Snake River meandering through the valley.

The Tetons



Riding Up Shadow Mountain



At the top of the climb a single track descent drops about 2800 feet in 3 miles.  We met up with some guys who were shuttling the ride and descended together.  The single track was a treat.  At first it weaved through tight forest sections which gave way to open areas as the trail followed the spine of a small ridge.  At the bottom I hopped in with our new friends and shuttled another lap.

The Fun Begins


The Descent



Conifers Give Way to Aspens


I got us an airline deal at The Snow King in Jackson.  It's a small ski hill directly west of town.  We enjoyed the pool, hot tub, a dinner picnic in the grass, and a real bed for the only night of our trip.

A Real Bed for an Evening


Sunset Picnic


In the morning I woke up super early to catch a flight off of Jackson Hole Mountain.  I got there in time to catch the first tram up to the peak with at least a dozen paragliders.  My glider barely fit in the tram, but with some creative angling we got it in.

My Glider Catching a Ride on the Tram at Jackson Hole Mountain




Top of the Tram


The peak above the top of the tram is 11,000 feet.  The morning air was completely still, which was completely uncharacteristic for the high altitude setting.  I humped my glider up the last couple hundred feet and rigged on the west facing slope.  It was going to be a good soaring day, but we had to make it to Wind River Range before dark so I launched with the first light cycle.  Having only flown in Florida and one Colorado flight in early summer, launching in the thin air was daunting.  I found the steepest slope I could and committed to run to the bottom of the mountain if I had to.  In 5 steps I was off, with no drama.  I swooped my way down the mountain, while resisting the temptation to buzz the tram car going up as I was going down.

Unloaded


The View From the Backside of the Mountain


Rigged


The Steepest Slope I Could Find


My Flight


The LZ

1 comment:

bj said...

Fun tour of Jackson. Beautiful place and the Teton pictures are unbelievable.