Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Ducky

This summer has been busy, but not in a good way. I’ve worked more in the last three months than any in my flying career. I feel like every time I drive to the airport a part of my soul dies. I guess n this economy that’s a good problem to have. In an effort to make the best of things, I found a way to enjoy the summer while still putting in record hours.

A few weeks ago I was walking the dogs and happened by a yard sale. Laying in the front yard was a ducky (an inflatable kayak). It was a brand of poor quality, but in good shape. After a little negotiating and two trips a nearby Home Depot for cash I left fifteen bucks poorer, but the proud new owner of what I would find out was a Sevylor Fiji Travel Inflatable Kayak. All that was left was a body of water to enjoy my new vessel. Boulder Creek and Clear Creek have been closed for weeks because of several deaths related to record high water flows. It was time to put my work schedule to use. I packed the ducky, a foot pump, 2 PFD's, a dry bag, a throw bag, and one paddle all in a North Face duffle bag. I had to hand carry the other paddle, but that was the only clue to the general public.

All Packed Up


The Yampa

The first overnight that looked promising was in Hayden, CO. Our hotel is in Craig. Which is a 30 minute drive west of the airport. The Yampa River runs between the towns along Highway 40. The 17 mile section would make for a great maiden voyage. It's normally a flat water Class I section, but the Yampa was flowing at flood stage so there was a few Class II rapids along the way. I was flying the trip with my buddy Ryan and he was keen on the plan. We got the John, the van driver, to drop us off just up stream of the first rapid.

Getting Dropped Off


Our drop off location was not ideal. We blew up the raft on a steep slope behind the guard rail. If we had known better we could have dropped off a few hundred feet upstream and had a nice sandy beach and clean line into the rapid. Lesson learned. We inflated the ducky, assembled the paddle, donned our PFD's, secured the dry bag, and put in. The current was super fast and lead right into a wave train. It was not an ideal place to explore the ducky's stability, but we soon learned we could do no wrong.

Less-Than-Ideal Put In Location


Inflating the Ducky


The Yampa at Floodstage


Ready to Go


A few miles down stream the river widened out and the current slowed down. The flooding had swelled the river well beyond its banks and those areas were filled with a mine field of ducky-puncturing debris. The current line was easy to follow as the river meandered through constant oxbows down the valley. We made good progress in the swift current, but covered little ground due to the constant oxbows. In early afternoon a headwind picked up which slowed us even more. I was a little worried we wouldn't finish in time to get ready for work, but we built in a bunch of fudge time. Along the way we saw 5 bald eagles and their nests. Then we oddly passed by a group of sheep, cows, a donkey, and an emu all chilling on the shore like they were best friends.

Between the Rapids






Bald Eagles


Sheep, Cows, A Donkey, and an Emu!


Flooded Goodness



Success



It was a great way to spend an overnight and beat the hell out of rotting in a hotel for 14 hours!

The Animas

Later that week I had a Durango overnight and our hotel is right next to the Animas River. The run began through town and ended after the kayak park just downstream of the hotel. The river was flowing at 1100cfs which was enough to make the Class II and III rapids fun, but not dangerous. Kate, my flight attendant, was down for the run so we rallied to get the boat in the water as soon as we landed. I briefed her on swift water swimming and rescue (I packed a throw bag just in case), then we got dropped off upstream of town.

Putting in on the Animas




Compared to the Yampa the Animas was clear with green and blue hues depending on the cloud cover and sun angle. The crisp mountain water was super refreshing and a great way to take in the afternoon. The Class III rapids (Smelter, Clock Tower, and Santa Ria) in the kayak park were a little nerve racking at first, but in the ducky you can do no wrong. I would set up at angles that would have me swimming in a white water kayak with no consequence. The ducky did have a few shortcomings, though. The worst was that it isn't self-bailing so every big hit fills the boat with water. A close second is virtually no hull rigidity. I would liken it to that of a wet noodle. We pulled out at the bottom of the park and did a few more laps through the Class III's.

Refreshing Mountain Water


Kate Taking a Break


Bridges



Passing by the Hotel


Upstream of the Kayak Park


The View From Below



Negotiating the Hotel Stairs was the Hardest Part of the Run


Jo and I leave on our honeymoon on Monday so the end of the madness is in sight, but running a few of Colorado's mountain rivers was a great reminder that work can't ruin summer.

No comments: