Tuesday, March 23, 2010

A Day in My Life (March 23, 2010)

1:00a Sleep (recovering from a few days of work and minimal sleep).

9:25a Phone Rings, Andrew calling, don't answer need more sleep.

10:20a Construction outside wakes me up, urge to kill rising!

10:35a Wake up. Jasper has made a nest in the bend in arm. It's not snowing yet, maybe I can soar the upslope before the snow hits.


11:00a Load up the glider (have to fly the Falcon, no parachute in my other harness).

11:30a Speeding to Golden. The cloudbase is dropping, hurry...



12:00p BJ and Dean are soaring and having a grand time. Must utilize performance driving skills to get up Lookout Mountain Road as quickly as possible.

12:05p Yellow lab in the road, detour to find owner. Find house, door is wide open and the TV is on, hope nobody is hurt in there. Talk to neighbor, they always do that. Odd, but at least the dog is safe.

12:15p Sprint up to Launch. It's blowing south, but Jim hooked in and sitting on launch is optimistic it will swing north.

12:20p Jim launches and gets way low. He has an awesome low save, but I'm leery of launching on the north side, heading to the south launch.

12:30p Hike up to launch. Damn I'm out of shape. This glider weighs a ton and it's the light one! It's a 200 foot hike straight up.

12:50p That took way too long. Lungs are burning.

1:30p Did it really take me 40 minutes to rig a Falcon? Upslope has pushed through, think I missed the window (why did I sleep in). Now I just want to get off the hill so I don't have to hike down.


1:31p Perfect no wind launch, got to love the Falcon. Turn left and head to main launch. Everyone is down, consider top landing, but it's too sketchy. Be safe and have fun.

1:35p Pull on full speed to penetrate through trashy air in the LZ. Perfect landing. The Falcon is a pleasure to fly. Love it!

2:00p Loopy gave me a ride back up to my truck. Thanks man.

2:30p Headed home. Rain is turning to snow.

3:30p Box up BMW M3 Bumper I got for the wagon. Must sell to fund upcoming comp.

4:00p Head to Boulder. Need to get dog food. Snow is heavy now, roads are getting bad. Could be a mission getting out of town. Why did I sleep in...

4:30p Dog food loaded up. Roads are horrible, 36 will be parking lot. Plan A: Pearl Street to Valmont then cut through softball fields to Arapahoe to Cherryvail to Marshall to Dirt Road to Home.


5:30p Abort. Cherryvail is a parking lot. Plan B: Take neighborhood streets to 93 then shortcut to Marshall.

6:30p Abort. Short cut is closed. 93 is closed. Plan C: Take neighborhood streets to South Boulder Road.

7:00p Abort. South Boulder road is closed. Getting desperate. Plan D: Going to try 36.

7:50p Abort. 36 is a parking lot. Haven't even made it off the on ramp yet. Contemplating 4 wheeling through 8" of snow across the grassy meadow to the off ramp.

8:01p Going to try the 4X4 route. It's a huge gamble, but I want to get home tonight. Drive fast and take chances!

8:05p Gamble worked. It was close, but I didn't get stuck. Blizzards will not phase the mighty Tacoma!

8:10p Topping off with gas and a revitalizing chocolate milk at the PDQ. This place looks like a refugee camp. Have to think of a plan. Think man think!

8:15p Delicious chocolate milk has worked. Plan E: Going to take back roads and cut through East Boulder Rec Center to Jay road head east on flat lands to 287. Traffic will be going north so I should be opposite direction.


8:30p After one more sketchy 4 wheel the plan is coming together. Arapahoe is empty, don't need to go all the way to Jay road.


9:08p Finally made it home. The dogs can eat and I'm done driving!


10:00p Watch movie with Jo.

12:00p Damit she caught me crying. "I don't cry, I work out!"

12:19p Enough blogging, time for bed. "Jaspa....."

Edit:

12:31p Stubbed big toe on bottom of sink ripping part of my toe nail off. It really hurts. I want to throw up from shock.

12:59p Tried to adapt pull up bar into an inversion rack. Got stuck hanging upside down by one leg. Jo had to rescue me. Inadvertently touched foam while being removed from upside down position and freaked out. Foam is my kryptonite.

1 comment:

Lee said...

Great commentary. Falconius looks cool. Is this an attempt of trying out your notes for twitter updates? Ha Ha!