Monday, August 27, 2007

Two Z8's in One Hour

Last week I needed to run some errands for the M Coupe's first oil change (more on this in a future post). First I needed to go to BMW for some oil and then I headed off to the hardware store for a 6mm Hex Socket. In my hour of travels I saw two BMW Z8's. "Alex is really running low on blog material" your thinking. That may be true, but I found this a notable coincidence. The Z8 is at least as rare as an M Coupe and about 2.5 times as expensive. It was designed from the start as a collector car.

The first one was a black one at the Dealer. The Z8 is a rare car, but if you were going to see one the BMW dealer would be the place, right... He pulled right up to the back of the M Coupe as I tried not to stare too blatantly. The exhaust note was music to my ears as he pulled away. I was trying to play it cool, so I didn't get any pics.

Then on the way to the hardware store I saw a silver one in a Walmart parking lot of all places!! I pulled up and parked a few spots away as to not crowd him. Here are a couple cell phone pics.




I apologize for the picture quality, the cell phone was the only photographic tool I had at the time. Here are some stock images from the official BMWZ8.US website.




And the two colors I saw last week.


The Z8 was designed in the form of the classic European cars that my Dad used to romance about when I was a kid. It holds true to the curved form, minimalistic interior, and elegant styling of the best of the European classics.


It was specifically designed as a tribute to the BMW 507 produced from 1956-59, but it invokes strong memories of my Dad's E type Jaguar. Here are some side by side pics I found off of BMWZ8.US. His Jag was identical, wire wheels and all.



To read more about the Z8, click here.

The M Coupe is the car for me. It's raw performance, aggressive styling, and hooligan nature bring me smiles every time I walk in the garage. Rusty admires the M Coupe too!


No comments: